Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Age of New Civility - A Scientific Study

Unfortunately, my plan to report on my attendance at the first meeting of the Congressional Tea Party Caucus in Washington D.C was foiled by Mother Nature. So, maybe it is time for me to report on some new super-secret scientific research that I have been conducting and, maybe, solicit your help...

My Original Hypothesis: As reported by HuffPo contributors and commentors, the Left/Progressives never have, never do presently, and henceforth, never will engage in violent or hateful rhetoric against their fellow man. And, the Age of New Civility has begun.

My Research Tools: www.huffingtonpost.com, other similar websites, and personal, first-hand observation and interaction.

My Preliminary Findings: After careful observation (on HuffPo) and stringent and complicated mathematical calculations, I have made an amazing discovery that defies my original hypothesis. First, I discovery that, despite what they believe about themselves, the Left/Progressives DO engage in hateful and/or violent rhetoric. But more importantly, I believe that I have calculated the exact life cycle of an "Age of New Civility" imposed amongst the Liberal/Progressive movement. If my calculations are correct, and I have no reason to believe they are not, it takes from start to finish....(drum-roll, please!)....exactly one standard 24-hour news cycle following an official Presidential lecture on civility for the Left/Progressives to dispense with any remnants of their own self-imposed "Age of New Civility". In real time, that means it mimics approximately the same life cycle as the common fruit fly - give or take a margin of error of .00004 seconds.

Now please keep in mind that these are only the preliminary findings and I have much work to do before I can reach a definitive and scientific conclusion. With further research and help from my fellow Commentarama-ian peers, I hope to publish my official findings in a super-duper, A-number one, double-plus good, peer review publication.

Someone** right here suggested that we keep a database of Liberal/Progressive hateful and/or violent rhetoric, just in case it is was ever suggested again that Conservative/Right-Wingers/Tea Partiers alone engage in such uncivil activities. Maybe we should, but, mind you, purely in the interest of scientific research.

So, to start the ball rolling, here is my first entry.

This comes to you from our friends at Common Cause at a rally they held on January 31, 2011 in Palm Springs:



By the way, I did not observe a similar pattern of mindless civility in Conservatives. My hypothesis is that Conservatives instinctively sensed that this "Age of New Civility" would be an empty and short-lived exercise, and it was best not to let their guard down. Further research is needed.

**I can't remember who made the suggestion and I'm too lazy to search. BUT if you identify yourself, I will give you full credit or chocolate - whichever you prefer.

12 comments:

AndrewPrice said...

Nice research Dr. Bev! I look forward to seeing your results. We're going to have to start calling you Bev Goodall for hanging out with the lunatics in their natural environment over at Huffpo!

What I found funny was the number of leftists who combined calls for civility with truly hateful rhetoric. Their either didn't see the blatant hypocrisy or didn't care. I'm not sure which, but it doesn't really matter.

In either event, it's despicable.

BevfromNYC said...

I like that - Dr. Bev and I never thought about it, but it really is like observing gorilla behavior at HuffPo. All you have to do is say "Sarah Palin" or "Glenn Beck"and they all grunt Ooh-ohh-oohh loudly and beat their chests! It's Pavlov's experiment and most of all totally predictable.

I am not kidding when I wrote that they will swear everyday from Sunday that Liberals NEVER engage in hateful or violent rhetoric. Usually at the same time they are wishing a horrible death to those who they think do (i.e. Palin, Beck, teapublicans etc.). It's kinda' warped.

Since I have no problem directly engaging the loyal opposition, I will be happy to report what they are saying on any topic. However, you could probably just get your best "liberal" on a be pretty accurate. Like I said - predictable.

DUQ said...

Bev, Very funny! I can't stand to go to HuffPo because I can't stand the insanity and the anger, so I'm glad you are sharing your observations with us. As for hate speech, they never stopped. They don't think anything of blurting out that certain conservatives should be dead or making racist/sexist jokes about other. It's disgusting. You're right too about Palin/Beck/Rush/Bush/Cheney. There get entirely irrational when you use any of those names.

Unknown said...

Bev: Quite simply, there are nutsos on the right and the left. Conservatives confront their nutcases, and loudly disavow them publicly. Liberals deny, deny, deny, and then throw out red herrings by making things up--like racial epithets and spitting supposedly committed by right-wingers at the base of the Capitol stairs. With the internet, sophisticated recording devices and a camera in every cell phone, it has become more and more difficult for the liberals to keep denying the violence and racism on the left.

Ed said...

That's hilarious! I love the scientific aspect of your report! Lol!

I'm amazed at how often they say truly evil things in the same breath they complain about conservatives supposedly doing the same. It's text book hypocrisy. It's like with racism. I've heard liberals tell the nastiest racist jokes and then finish it with, "but I'm not racist like Rush Limbaugh". Are we seriously supposed to believe they told those jokes to be unracist? Also, if Rush (or Palin or anyone else) is such a racist, then where's the proof?

BevfromNYC said...

UPDATE: This is the press release from Common Cause issued on 2/3/2011:

"Common Cause's 40 year history of holding power accountable has been marked by a commitment to decency and civility – in public and private. So we are of course outraged to find that a few of those attending the events around a gathering Common Cause...voiced hateful, narrow-minded sentiments to an interviewer in the crowd..."

Then there's the obligatory condemnation:

"...We condemn bigotry and hate speech in every form, even when it comes from those who fancy themselves as our friends..."

But it's the following that's really interesting -

"Anyone who has attended a public event has encountered people whose ideas or acts misrepresented, even embarrassed, the gathering. Every sporting event has its share of "fans" whose boorish behavior on the sidelines makes a mockery of good sportsmanship; every political gathering has a crude sign-painter or epithet-spewing heckler..."

Does any of that statement sound familiar? Hmmm, where have I heard that before...I just can't...Oh, I remember. We used that excuse about signs at the Tea Party rallies. But unfortunately it didn't convince anyone that we're weren't racists and bigots. We continue to be condemned en masse for the actions of a few or the actions of nobody (See: Rep. Lewis) Hmmm...

BevfromNYC said...

DUQ - Thanks! I have to admit it took a slow immersion process to get used to HuffPo. It is not for the faint of heart or thin skinned. But I actually enjoy it. I've tried DailyKos, but not even I could stomach that.

And they LOVE Sarah Palin! She is evil incarnate, second only to Beck and Limbaugh. There is at least one article a day. They have more articles on Sarah Palin than Sarah Palin's own website

BevfromNYC said...

LawHawk: You are absolutely right. it's on both sides. But I really do believe that Libs are genetically incapable of seeing their own hateful rhetoric for what it is. Even when faces with irrefutable proof, they can't see it. That being said, I can't condemn Common Cause for the actions of a few, but then. On the other hand, why not?

BevfromNYC said...

Thanks, Ed! FYI - They don't need no stinkin' proof. Didn't we learn that during the Dan Rather/CBS/Bush National Guard Records-gate. If they think it SHOULD be true, it must be true.

USArtguy said...

"Left/Progressives DO engage in hateful and/or violent rhetoric".

REALLY? Well... knock me over with a feather!

BevfromNYC said...

USArtGuy - That was mean...mean to make me watch those. BUT I loved the look on Mike Myers face...priceless.

I will add these to the list...

CrispyRice said...

I'd just like to thank you for taking one for the team with this research, Bev. It's a service for all mankind you do here!

I shall report any incidences I find directly to you!

Post a Comment