Saturday, May 5, 2012

What A Busy Day!

This is one of those days that has something for everyone to get excited about! Let’s see, it’s Cinco de Mayo – the day in 1862 that the state of Puebla in Mexico defeated the French Army and won independence from France! Okay, so it's really only celebrated in the US and in the state of Puebla in Mexico, but that is no reason to ignore it, so drink a cerveza de Corona and celebrate already! Then for you astro-nuts, there’s a Super Moon tonight – the moon will be 14% larger and brighter. As described by the LA Times, “at 11:34 ET, [the] full moon will reach perigee -- the closest point to Earth in its elliptical pattern …and only one minute later, the moon will line up with the Earth and the sun to become gloriously full.”

Oh, and just in case you missed it, Obama officially kicked off his Presidential Re-Election Campaign today! I know what you are thinking. You didn’t know that he had ever stopped campaigning, but be that as it may, it is now official. If you are really interested in getting involve, you can donate $3 and possibly win a chance to meet “The One” and maybe even George Clooney! Or...

Last, but certainly not least, the 138th Kentucky Derby will be run today at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky. Known for great hats, mint juleps, and some of the most beautiful horses in the world, the Run For The Roses kicks off the race for the Triple Crown. If possible, if one horse can win the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness in Maryland, and the Belmont Stakes in NYC, then that horse will be crowned the greatest horse of its generation. It has only been won 11 times since 1919. The last horse to win was Affirmed in 1978.

The post positions for this year's Kentucky Derby are as follows:

1. Daddy Long Legs
2. Optimizer
3. Take Charge Indy
4. Union Rags
5. Dullahan
6. Bodemeister
7. Rousing Sermon
8. Creative Cause
9. Trinniberg
10. Daddy Nose Best
11. Alpha
12. Prospective
13. Went The Day Well
14. Hansen
15. Gemologist
16. El Padrino
17. Done Talking
18. Sabercat
19. I'll Have Another
20. Liaison
Info on the horses

Choose your horses. Post time is 5:24pm ET. The winner wins one of our famous invisible Commentarama T-shirts*!

*Subject to change without notice and availability**
**Subject to approval of "THe Management"***
***Only if the Boiler Room Elves are so inclined to make them.

28 comments:

Unknown said...

Bev: Or as Barack Jose Obama would say in his finest Spanish: "Cinco de Cuatro."

BevfromNYC said...

LawHawk - Yes, "five of four". Isn't that his accounting method too?

BevfromNYC said...

Oh, and I put $1 million on Union Rags to win...

AndrewPrice said...

Bev, I desperately want to win dinner with Obama. I'm going to stop bathing about a month before, then I'm going to act like I can't smell anything -- so he looks really strange in the photo op as he tries to not get "too near."

Then I'm going to claim either that he promised me over dinner that he would raise taxes to 50% on the middle class after the election... or that he tried to touch me inappropriately. ;)

AndrewPrice said...

By the way, I'm pretty sure the Boiler Room Elves are not inclined to make anything except trouble... lazy jerks.

BevfromNYC said...

I am not sure why they are interviewing Eli Manning for the Derby, but where are the horses??

BevfromNYC said...

Andrew - I figured maybe if I threw a case of Maker's Mark down to the BRE's they may reconsider, but I understand.

BevfromNYC said...

Oops, I forgot that Louisville is in ET time, so post time is actually 6:24pm ET.

tryanmax said...

I think "Five of Four" is Barry's Borg designation. Even they find him superfluous.

As much as I hate it, Obama's raffle-style celebrity fundraiser is actually very smart. In days past, it would have turned people off and hurt him, but Democrats have turned politics into a celebrity affair. (As Rush puts it, Hollywood for the ugly.)

The only consolation is that many of the people willing to put in $3 for a chance to meet George Clooney probably can't be bothered to get to a poll on election day, or even request an early ballot. Heck, some of them probably think the $3 is their vote!

BevfromNYC said...

Tryanmax - that's what I thought it must have been - some Borg reference.

I was thinking of making donation, but then, I am sure they vet the person who goes. Since I'm sure I am on some Obama "Enemies List" for years of dubious non-Lib shenanigans, I probably won't win. I think I'll give my $3 to someone else.

Oh, and I didn't win $1million at the Derby, so I guess I have to go to work on Monday...

T-Rav said...

The only race I've been involved in this weekend was trying to get a 30-page paper finished. Oh, and also trying to sprint to the bathroom sink so I could blast snot into it and not on myself. You're welcome.

AndrewPrice said...

tryanmax, Wow! The really is the perfect designation for him! That or "zero of four."

Bev, The BRE would probably happily accept the booze, but I still wouldn't trust them to get the t-shirts done. They are union after all....

AndrewPrice said...

T-Rav, You kids and your 30 page papers. LOL! Don't become a lawyer, I've had to write those overnight a couple times.

DUQ said...

Two years ago, Obama would won the Kentucky Derby, just like he won the Nobel Prize. I guess times have changed if he can't awards without earning them?

BevfromNYC said...

Gee, T-Rav, thanks for sharing...s-not! They have this new product called "tissues" that work almost as well as sink for the...well...nasal...um...stuff.

BevfromNYC said...

DUQ - I thought Obama DID win the Kentucky Derby! He won the Superbowl and the World Series too, didn't he?

tryanmax said...

My race has been keeping up with my monkeys, er, kids. Seriously, I haven't accomplished one thing I set out to do today besides feeding them, the one thing they won't let me forget. In fact, they spent the whole day in their jammies and went right back to bed in them.

Daddy needs a drink.

BevfromNYC said...

tryanmax - Some days are not meant for accomplishing anything. They are there just to get through to justify the cocktail at the end of it...;-)

tryanmax said...

Cocktail. Coors. 'Sall good.

T-Rav said...

Andrew, if I ever say anything about having to write a 30-page paper overnight, alert the authorities, because I WILL suffer a psychotic episode before morning. This has been a simply brutal week for me.

T-Rav said...

Bev, that would be why my wastebasket is so full. I should stop sharing now.

AndrewPrice said...

T-Rav, Less is more... at least in stories about snot. LOL!

And trust me, when your job calls for writing massive amounts on short deadlines, you learn to do it.

AndrewPrice said...

tryanmax, or a Coorstail.

DUQ said...

Bev, I thought he won those too a couple years ago, but not this year apparently.

Did you see the low turnout for his campaign kick off? Ha ha!

tryanmax said...

Andrew, what's a good mix-in for beer?

AndrewPrice said...

In my experience, more beer. ;)


Actually, in Germany they have two mixes which I know of: (1) they mix like a raspberry syrup in with a light lager, or (2) seven up with a wheat beer. Both are actually surprisingly good.

tryanmax said...

Dang it. All I've got is lager and seven up. And more beer. Bottoms up!

BevfromNYC said...

Tryan - pretzels are a good mix in with beer too!

Post a Comment