Wednesday, March 17, 2010

BLUEBERRY HILL

By Writer X

Where to begin. The McCain/Hayworth senate race soap opera continues in Arizona. Bring the popcorn.

Let me start with the latest radio ad from John McCain’s crack public relations team. Remember the lady I talked about in my last post? The one who sounds like she just woke up from a three-day drunk dressed in a pink bathrobe and fuzzy slippers with her formerly red lips wrapped around a cigarette? Well, she’s back in McCain’s newest radio ad like a bad penny. This time the ad begins with her humming (yes, humming) “I found my thrills on blueberry hill” before she laments about J.D. Hayworth’s vote once upon a time for a blueberry farm when still a Congressman. Or something like that. Does it matter? The radio spot is nauseatingly bad. The lady sounds like she just downed three shots of Jack Daniels and a bottle of Prozac. It’d make more sense if the ad were used as a public service announcement against drug and alcohol abuse.

Next in the McCain/Hayworth cage match, you might recall a news story right before the Oscars where Hayworth posted a campaign ad on Drudge of John McCain in Avatar blue paint colors with the caption: John McCain—Nominee for Best Conservative Actor. Personally, I thought it was kind of clever and timely, given the Oscars the following day. Not John McCain and his people, of course. Probably 1.5 seconds after the spot was posted on Drudge, the foot-stomping and chest puffing started. A spokesman for John McCain grandiosely demanded that the campaign ad be taken down because it was insulting (unlike, of course, their barrage of campaign ads against Hayworth). When that didn’t work, the McCain spokespeople used the old standby excuse—the ad was racist.

Um, okay.

Against whom? I’m not real sure. I presume blue fictional Avatars have now become a protected class? Who knew.

Then this past week things took an even more bizarre turn. Hayworth ran a campaign ad where he talks about his Christian faith. Again, the McCain camp came unglued, along with our local newspaper. More chest-puffing and foot-stomping. They demanded, once again, that Hayworth discontinue “touting his Christian faith” because faith has no place in politics.

Really? Since when?

This hysterical behavior means only one thing: John McCain is absolutely sweating bullets over this election. There seems to be palpable fear that he will lose his senate seat. When J.D. Hayworth emerges from his house each day, I’m pretty sure McCain and his staff demand that he go back inside. Nonetheless, the election is a long way from over and Hayworth, in my opinion, needs to step up his game. And who knows what this week will bring. I’m sure it will involve plenty of foot stomping in custom-made Italian loafers.

In other Arizona news, Ann Kirkpatrick (D-Northern Arizona) is another freshman Congresswoman who may be seeking other employment in November. Kirkpatrick tried to look like a rock star last week by introducing legislation that would reduce Congressional pay by five percent to which most of us in Arizona said, “Big whoop!” It’s a little like bringing a squirt gun to a five-alarm house fire and then trying to convince the homeowner that you were the hero. Kirkpatrick voted for the $787 Billion Stimulus Bill and the Healthcare Bill that the majority of her constituents don’t want. Then she became invisible last summer when her constituents wanted townhalls. Suddenly she wants to be responsible with taxpayer money? And, a paltry five percent? Clearly Kirkpatrick is as desperate as John McCain. She ran as a moderate Democrat in a largely conservative district much like John McCain is trying to repackage himself like a Conservative in a largely conservative state. I’m starting to wonder whether Kirkpatrick is the drunk-sounding lady in the pink robe and fuzzy slippers in all of the John McCain radio ads.


22 comments:

AndrewPrice said...

Thanks for the update Writer X. It sounds like McCain really needs a new ad team.

FYI, I read late last night that Kirkpatrick will vote for ObamaCare, but don't worry. . . she still sort of opposes cap and trade. I feel much better.

Tennessee Jed said...

Thanks for the post, "X". I'm glad to see Yosemite Sam sweating bullets. Still, I'll believe he loses his seat when I see it.

Writer X said...

Andrew, you're welcome!

Kirkpatrick voted for it the first time and will vote for it again, even though the majority of the people in her district oppose it. But, you get what you vote for. I'd say she's vulnerable in November.

Writer X said...

TennJed,

Hayworth has probably given him the most opposition he's ever faced in an election. However, as I said, it's a long way from over. Hayworth has a lot of work to do.

StanH said...

Great update X! It looks like Arizona politics are getting zany. I think it’s wonderful making the RINO sweat, even if he wins maybe he’ll be a little more reluctant too reach across the aisle?

Writer X said...

Stan, zany is right! Unfortunately, if McCain wins again, I have no doubt he'll return to his RINO ways. This Conservative persona is only for show (and only to get re-elected), all the more reason to send him into retirement.

MegaTroll said...

Great update. I'd love to hear these commercials. I wonder how much he's paying these people to turn off voters? Especially since he seems to be able to do that for free on his own.

Writer X said...

Mega, I've looked for audio links and can't find them. Sorry! While the radio ads are annoying, nothing is more annoying than hearing McCain preface anything with the cringe-inducing "My Friend..."

Unknown said...

WriterX: You and I have a lot of praying ahead of us. McCain in Arizona and Boxer in California will lose only if the tide keeps rising against massive taxes, crippling government programs, and illegal immigration. If the Tea Party movement and its smaller brothers and sisters peak too soon, people will fall back into their old ways and vote out of habit. The Democrats and the RINOs are beating a hasty tactical retreat, but we have to use the opportunity to continue to build our forces. It ain't over 'til it's over.

Writer X said...

LawHawk, very true.

I will say that the voter anger in AZ is as palpable as I've ever felt it. I've never seen so many voters paying attention and they don't like what they see. McCain, in particular, jumped on the "I'm a Conservative" bandwagon too little too late. He may finally pay the price in November but it won't be easy. Hayworth is a good candidate but people either love or hate him. My fear is that he doesn't resonate enough with Independent voters, although even the Independents in AZ are outraged by what's happening in D.C.

AndrewPrice said...

Writer X, The fact that she issues a whole (whiny) statement regarding her decision tells me that she's vulnerable. She is exactly the kind of Democrat that needs to be tossed out in November. Let's hope the people learn from their mistake in the last election and that we don't pay too high of a price for it.

Writer X said...

Andrew, it gets curiouser and curiouser...

As of this morning, Kirkpatrick's D.C. office is telling people she hasn't made up her mind. Harry Mitchell's office is telling callers that he's reading the Bill (what Bill??), and Giffords is basically hiding under her desk. Bottom line, I believe that all three will cave to Pelosi and vote YES on the bill regardless of what their constituents demand. I so look forward to returning the favor in November. All three, in my opinion, are doomed in November.

BevfromNYC said...

Thanks for the great update. It was nice of Kirkpatrick to suggests a 5% cut. Of course, it would have been more meaninful if she had done that when they got their 5% raise last year...

I am beginning to get the picture that there isn't a state that without zany politicians. Maybe we should have contest!

AndrewPrice said...

I hope so X. I'd love to see AZ toss out three Democrats. Hopefully, the other states will follow suit.

wahsatchmo said...

I wrote an email to Mitchell this morning (he's my district's rep) and called his stance toward the health care bill childish and silly thinking, unworthy of a congressman (his website prominently announces "Doing Nothing is Not an Option").

I did indicate that I'd be voting against him should he vote yes on the bill, but I seriously doubt that I persuaded him away from the siren call of Madam Plasticity.

Writer X said...

Bev, we've got the three Muskateers here in AZ: Giffords, Mitchell, and Kirkpatrick. There's more but that's a good start.

Yeah, I think Kirkpatrick was feeling desperate so she put out the media blitz on the legislative pay decrease. It fizzled quickly. She's some hero, eh?

Writer X said...

wahsatchmo, I think of the three Muskateers, Mitchell gets the prize for being the most invisible, starting with this past summer. I've called and emailed him to no avail. You get the same intern answering the phone who barely understands what's going on. "He's reading the Bill..." is all she'll say. Huh? What Bill? The one no one's ever seen, according to Pelosi? Not very impressive. I can't wait to cast my vote for his opponent in November.

Writer X said...

Andrew, there are enough angry voters across the state that I hope we'll see some real change we can believe in (at least in Arizona) come November.

Individualist said...

WriterX

Sounds like poor John McCain is finally reaping the fruits of bipartisanship.

We are doing out part here in Florida. Marco Rubio is up on Charlie Crisp by 30%.

When Obama came down her to campaign for the bill Crisp the Republican governor publicly stated he was for Obama's Health care reforms.

I hear that Obama is threatening not to camaign for demcrats who don't vote for the Health Care bill. That should net another 20 no vote at least. Huh!

Writer X said...

Indy,

Yes, I am betting that Crist would like to jump into a hot tub time machine and turn back the clock by a year or so. If Obama could come to Arizona and campaign for McCain, that just might do the trick. ;-)

AndrewPrice said...

Writer X, I hear that your rep, Mitchell, voted against the Slaughter Rule. I guess that's supposed to convince you that his upcoming vote for ObamaCare isn't so bad. . .

Writer X said...

Andrew, the jig is up about Harry and has been since last summer. Most people in my district (Harry's district) cannot wait to vote for his opponent in November.

Post a Comment