Saturday, March 20, 2010

A Glimpse At The March On Washington DC


There are just some times in one's life that you have to stand up and be counted. Today was such a day for me.

Me and well, about 30,000 other people.  I know numbers don't matter, but they might have today.  We got at least one victory today.  No "Deem and Pass" [or Demon Pass, as some called it]!!!  Each Congressperson will have to vote "Yea" or "Nay" on the record.







Views from the front -

























One of the many signs -











After the main event, some moved to the Congressional office to speak with their Congressional representatives.  Frankly, I thought talking to my Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney would be a waste of time, so I went to the East lawn.







Obama was supposed to come to the Capitol, so many of us moved to the East lawn to greet him.  Instead, we greeted many "No" Congressman  and at least one very brave "Yes" Congressman...




A "No" Congressman and a very brave Rep. Maxine Waters of California.  She showed her scorn for us as she walked by.  I think she expected all of us to shout racial slurs, but we just booed her instead...











Another Congressman -

















There is a special breed of person who becomes a Congressperson.  Another two "No" votes...









Obama didn't drive by the crowd.  Apparently he came in through the tunnel.  It was at this point that one of the Congressmen told us that at least they defeated the "Deem and Pass" (or Demon Pass as everyone was calling it!)  Yey!  They will have to vote "Yea" or "Nay" on the bill.






Tonight there was a candlelight vigil and another rally on Sunday during the vote. Keep your fingers crossed.  One of the Congresspeople said it was close and could go either way. More tomorrow, but I am beat...

17 comments:

BevfromNYC said...

I apologize. I intended to report throughout the day, but technology defeated me today. But fortunately Congress did not...yet.

Unknown said...

Bev: You got some great photos, so we're more than happy to see those. When you catch your breath, let us know what you think is roiling around in D.C.

StanH said...

Rock-n-Roll Bev, great stuff! Give’em hell!

AndrewPrice said...

Bev, Thanks for the report! And double thanks for going. I have no doubt that people like you turning out are applying a ton of pressure to these Congress types.

At last count, everything I've read, says that they are still short. There appear to be about 15 unknowns left. Pelosi apparently needs six of them, but they're all leaning no.

JG said...

Thanks for the boots-on-the-ground report, Bev!

BevfromNYC said...

Hey LawHawk, you might be happy to know Rep. Bachmann announced during the rally that Cardoza was going "No"! I hope it's true.

I think we had a big impact today. Not one Democrat would walk pass us (except Maxine Waters - God bless her) and looked us in the eye. People are more angry that they're being ignored than they are about the healthcare bill.

One of the Congressman we spoke with who passed through the "Walk of Shame" said they still didn't have the votes pass. We can only hope.

BTW - Washington DC is a beautiful city! I just love going there.

AndrewPrice said...

Bev, DC is a beautiful city. Sadly, it's full of jerks and it wears on you very quickly. But it is beautiful.

AndrewPrice said...

P.S. The papers are reporting that Cardoza is voting YES.

BevfromNYC said...

Well I knew the Cardoza news was probably too good to be true.

Unknown said...

Bev: I hope she's right about Cardoza. Of course I'm not too pleased about having to eat crow, but I'm a man of my word. Let's see what happens. I'm still sticking to my original prediction, though. He's not too bright, and it would take a very bright and devious politician to recognize that seeming to be bought off only to do otherwise would be a brilliant ploy. Not counting on it.

Unknown said...

Andrew: My remembrance of D.C. was that it was stunningly beautiful so long as you didn't go more than two blocks away from any public building or major artery. Thereafter, it looked similar to South Central L.A., the Bayview in San Francisco, or the South Bronx in NYC. Maybe it's changed.

Skinners 2 Cents said...

Way to go Bev and thank you!!

Thanks to all the Americans who managed to get there on short notice. You were all the surrogate voices of many, many alarmed citizens.

Great photos, gotta love the Tea Party signs refreshingly strait forward in this PC world. It puts a smile on my face that someone has the sign that calls him a liar. Then again 2 out of 3 branches of government have already done so on live TV. It might be a little passe....naa it's still extremely relevant.

@ Maxine "we're all about take'n over your business" Waters: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
TYRANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great job I wish I could be there to yell it'd probably be therapeutic ;)

BevfromNYC said...

Thanks Skinner, it was my pleasure to go. And it's enormously therapeutic. There were people from all over the country there. They didn't really to a roll call by state, but they did a shout out by region and there whoops from every region. I think there was even a least one person from Hawaii. They asked if there was anyone from Hawaii and someone started pointing down at someone near me. Fun times.


I am disturbed that there wasn't any press coverage. It didn't even get a mention on Drudge.

Writer X said...

Bev, great reporting! You were more informative than any of the MSM outlets.

patti said...

bev, we are with you in spirit. thanks so much for blogging after a long day. you are standing on the steps of history. well done.

BevfromNYC said...

Writer X: Thanks. I suggest everyone go and yell at the Congress in a large group. It's very purging. If you do it by yourself, people will think you are just crazy...

I'm actually really disturbed that we got no coverage except on Fox and Breitbart. It makes me wonder whatelse is being withheld.

BevfromNYC said...

Patti: You are welcome. I almost didn't go, but I just couldn't help myself this time. But even if we lose this one, we've made our presence known in a big way and they can't ignores us. We've got to keep the pressure up because there's too much at stake.

I expect that the MSM will double down again on the ridicule especially if the bill passes today. They really want us to go away. Funny how they just couldn't get enough of Cindy Sheehan...

Post a Comment