Saturday, April 30, 2011

Baseball - The Greatest Steal Ever!


For baseball fans, this week marked the 30th Anniversary of one of THE greatest steals in American baseball history. It was April 25, 1976 at Dodger Stadium top of the 4th inning...well just watch the video.


With all of the media attention on Barry Bond's recent conviction for perjury, Darryl Strawberry's drug problems, and Pete Rose, it's nice to know that there was a time when baseball players were worthy of being called "Heroes" with a capital "H". So, let me repeat just one more time - Rick Monday, center fielder for the Chicago Cubs and a real American Hero.

The floor is now open...

7 comments:

Tennessee Jed said...

Thanks for posting this one Bev. Great vido clip. I agree completely with your sentiment.

BevfromNYC said...

Tenn - I have to admit that I had not seen this clip until this week. I love clips of unbelievable plays and so I clicked on this one. I got a little weepy! And this happened in during our "Bicentennial" too! i like that people remember Rick Monday, but not who was playing that day or who the flag burners were.

Unknown said...

Bev: My biggest thrill in sports in San Francisco was seeing the great Willie Mays in his first appearance as a San Francisco Giant at Candlestick Park. I was amazed to find out that this gentle slugger is still alive and well at age 79. In 2009, he gave the commencement address at San Francisco State University.

Tam said...

I agree with your sentiment too...Go Team America!

T-Rav said...

As difficult as it is for this Cardinals fan to compliment the Cubs in any way, shape, or form, I will have to admit, that was a great video. Thanks for the post, Bev.

JB1000 said...

I wonder what would have happened if the same thing were done 25 years earier or 25 years later? My guess, 25 years earlier, those two would be lucky to walk off the field under their own power. 25 years later, they would have sued Monday for violation of their civil rights.

BevfromNYC said...

You know JB1000, I think you are absolutely right.

Post a Comment